Regular exercise has long been known as one of the most important contributing factors to a healthy body and mind. Staying active is so beneficial, in fact, that regular exercise has even been found to prevent certain diseases and delay conditions like dementia. As we age, we become more conscious of our health and may try to exercise as much as we can in order to stay healthy as possible. However, as the old adage goes, all things in moderation. Let’s discuss how seniors can live a healthy, happy, and fulfilling lifestyle thanks to exercise and the amenities Atherton Place has to offer as one of the top senior living communities in Marietta, GA.
Benefits of Exercise
Regular exercise is essential for seniors as it helps to maintain both physical and mental health, improve quality of life, and reduce the risk of certain chronic conditions. Although these aspects certainly apply to people of any age, our risks increase as we age. The following are some of the ways staying active through exercise particularly benefits seniors:
- Improved cardiovascular health: Exercise helps to improve heart health, reducing the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, and stroke.
- Reduced risk of falls and injuries: Regular exercise can help seniors maintain strength, balance, and flexibility, which significantly reduces the risk of falls and injuries.
- Better cognitive function: Studies have shown that exercise can benefit seniors with cognitive function including memory, attention, and processing speed.
- Decreased anxiety and depression: Exercise triggers the release of chemicals in the brain, such as endorphins, which can help combat depression, anxiety, and stress that are more common in older adults.
- Improved bone health: Exercise can help strengthen bones, reducing the risk of osteoporosis and other bone-related conditions common among seniors.
What to Know Before Getting Started
Before jumping right into a workout routine, seniors should consult with their doctor to ensure that they don’t have underlying medical conditions that could be aggravated by exercise. Doing too much too soon can very quickly result in injuries, no matter your age.
Starting out with a simple routine makes working out less intimidating and much easier. Gradually increasing the duration and intensity of exercise over time can help build up your fitness level and reduce the risk of injury from overexertion. Take time during and after a workout to consider how your body is feeling. Make adjustments when necessary.
At Atherton Place, our residents have unique access to an array of healthcare professionals experienced in working with seniors thanks to our partnership with WellStar Kennestone Hospital. This relationship helps make us one of the premier senior living communities in Marietta, GA.
How Much Should Seniors Exercise?
The amount seniors should exercise depends on their current overall health status, physical abilities, and age. However, according to the CDC and the American Heart Association, seniors should aim for either:
- At least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise per week, such as brisk walking, water aerobics, or cycling.
- Or 75 minutes of more rigorous activities per week like jogging or going on a hike.
In addition to aerobic activities, seniors should incorporate strength-training exercises at least two days per week. Regular weight lifting or use of resistance bands helps maintain or improve muscle mass, which helps you remain active.
Balance needs careful attention while we age. As teenagers, we felt indestructible. We could trip, fall, and jump back on our feet without a second thought. When we entered our 30’s and 40’s, we felt that fall all week. Now, a fall poses a serious health risk, and doubles the chances of a second fall. Activities such as yoga or tai chi helps keep you balanced firmly on your feet and reduces the risk of falls.
How Our Unique Senior Living Community in Marietta, GA Can Help
Wellness is a state of mind and body here at Atherton Place. We encourage the physical health of our residents through our community’s appreciation of and desire to maintain an active lifestyle. Our residents enjoy complimentary access to Health Place, WellStar’s 55,000-square-foot medically-based fitness center and warm-water pool.
We constantly feature a range of social activities to foster friendship and education through entertainment. These social events, from gardening to musical performances, nurture the sense of community and camaraderie that makes Atherton Place special.
Atherton Place Outshines Other Senior Living Communities in Marietta, GA
Here at Atherton Place, we offer a one-of-a-kind senior living experience. For over three decades, we have provided our senior residents a welcoming, caring, and inspiring place to call home. With access to a state-of-the-art fitness facility and WellStar’s best healthcare team right next door, our residents are able to achieve their fitness goals and more.
Give us a call at 770-421-7300 or click here to ask questions or set up a tour to see what else makes Atherton Place so special.